Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Food fight.

So, Baby Guy is six months old. And adorbs, but you already knew that part. I'm having a tough time with the transition to solid foods. Our pediatrician has been pushing us to start him on solids since our four month appointment which is way too early, in my opinion. And, frankly, I haven't heard anyone quoting from medical studies to support starting solids at a particular age, other than the WHO recommending breastmilk exclusively for at least six months. (Note the "at least".) I get a little irritated when pediatricians resort to scare tactics to force compliance. Some examples: "Breastmilk is deficient in iron after nine months." "Breastmilk is deficient in iron after six months." (Which is it, guys? Get your facts straight.) "You need to increase his caloric intake because he's moving around a lot and needs more calories." (Really? My 86th percentile in weight baby needs a bigger caloric intake? My breastmilk doesn't have enough calories to keep up with him? Pfft.)

So, I'm trying to walk the line between doing what's best for my baby and just digging my heels in. The problem is the conflicting reports. One pediatrician says you need more iron after 9 months. One says 6 months. One says start rice cereal right away, one says rice cereal is just empty calories. I'm being as diligent as possible, doing research and trying to take the advice of my (well educated, experienced) pediatrician, while also remembering to take that advice with a grain of salt.

In the end, like everything else in parenting, I have to go with my gut. I have to do what feels right for me and my baby. I will admit that some of my trepidation in starting solids lies with my fear of losing the breastfeeding relationship. It's a tough transition for me. I am the center of his world right now. I am his Mama and his food and everything that embodies love and caretaking. Soon, he will discover a whole wide world beyond me and the selfish part of me wants to avoid that as long as possible. But the realistic part of me knows that it is better to foster his independence from a place of security, rather than shelter him from the world.

So the short answer is: I don't know. Breastmilk is still, without a doubt, the most nutritious thing he can be eating right now. No one food can replace that. We'll start solids soon, but I'm not in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment