Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Once more with feeling: etiquette.

Pro-tip for everyone out there in the real world: if you see a woman with a baby, DO NOT ask if she is pregnant. That bears repeating: DO NOT ask a woman carrying a baby if she is also pregnant. It doesn't matter how old the baby is, or how "pregnant" she looks. Just hold your tongue. I mean it.

I have had two or three people ask me in the past month or two ask if I was pregnant. While I was holding my four or five month old son. Look, I get it. I am unfit. I am overweight. I KNOW THIS. I have a mirror. There is no need for anyone else to point it out. I dress appropriately for my weight. I am not shimmying around in tiny shorts and skin tight shirts, but the fact of the matter is that I had a baby not that long ago, the recovery was hard, and I am struggling to lose weight. Sure I lost the baby-related weight easily, but I have additional weight to lose. And having a baby shifts your body around in unanticipated ways. So I am now flabby in places I wasn't before. I AM WORKING ON IT.

FYI rude jerks: babies are a lot of work. I'm doing the best I can and I really don't appreciate your comments. SO STOP.

The next person to comment is either getting punched or tears. Or both. I haven't decided yet. But please, for the sake of all the mothers out there, stop asking if I (or any other woman with a baby) am pregnant.

Rant over. (For now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment