Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Today's episode of: Good idea/bad idea?

I was perusing the Internet today (a hobby I am not entirely comfortable with - I feel like there are many more productive things I could be doing), when I stumbled across an adoption blog. But this was no normal adoption blog. This was a PayPal adoption blog...

A couple decided to adopt, found their baby, and set up a website so people could make donations to help them finance their adoption...

A big part of me finds this extremely tacky. I know adoption is expensive, but asking strangers on the Internet for hand-outs seems... shameless? Tacky? Distasteful? I mean, on the one hand, no one would turn down financial gifts from family members (grandparents, parents, siblings), because adoption, and heck, babies in general, is expensive! But panhandling on the Internet? It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Then I thought about the other side of the coin... If we did something similar, we could be raking in the dough! I'm kidding... We wouldn't do that... Would we? Anyone else want to weigh in? Tacky or a great way to finance your adoption?

No comments:

Post a Comment