Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I bought a zoo stroller.

It's been apparent for some time now that we should probably have a stroller. I know. This is turning out the same way our home birth did, which is to say, nothing like we planned and actually, completely opposite of what we thought. Welcome to parenthood.

When Allen and I go anywhere together, we carry Butterbean. One person carries the baby, the other carries the diaper bag. When I go grocery shopping, or run any of our other myriad errands, strapping Baby Guy (BG for short) to me in the Beco or other carrier makes sense. It keeps my hands free and I can also push a shopping cart around. But there have been times when I am on my own with BG that carrying a baby and a diaper bag is too much. Mostly when I go in to the city by myself. I can easily drive to the city, but it's usually more trouble than it's worth. I have to time it so I don't get caught in rush hour each way, and navigating DC is frustrating on an epic level, even with a GPS. And don't even get me started on parking. As a result, I haven't been going into the city. BG and I could be visiting friends or going for walks or seeing museums, but I find myself shying away from those trips because of the huge hassle or either driving or lugging around a baby and a big ol' bag in ridiculous heat.

So we bought a stroller. Literally one week after attending a babywearing conference. Yeah, we're those people. Here's the ridiculous part (as if it wasn't ridiculous enough): we didn't buy just any stroller, oh no. We bought a freaking Cadillac stroller. This one in fact: Britax B-Ready. We got a crazy good deal on it, and we figure we'll be having a second child in the next 2 years so we might as well get a stroller that can accommodate 2 instead of getting a single and upgrading later. Plus, it's so flexible with seat arrangements. And it's so pretty. I kind of love it. I would recommend it to anyone with 2 small children. It's a lot smaller than all the other double strollers and like I said, flexible seating arrangements. You can also dock your carseat in it, bassinet style, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a Britax carseat. Our Chicco Keyfit 35 fits in there. Britax is also running a special where you buy 5 things from their line of baby stuff and get a free toddler car seat. We got 2 out of 5 for free, and the other 3 were crazy on sale, so we are also getting one of these car seats as soon as I turn in our UPCs: Britax Boulevard 70.

So now, I'm officially going to be the person I hate. The person who takes a giant ass stroller on the metro. Hopefully I'll be more polite with it than the people I have complained about, but feel free to say, "I told you so". We took it on a test run yesterday, walking around the neighborhood and our first "real" outing will hopefully be tomorrow, barring thunderstorms.

I know. But whaddya gonna do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment