Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Prepping, part 2.

The delay in our CPS clearances notwithstanding, it's rapidly becoming reality around Chez Parker that we'll be housing another body fairly soon. As you know, we've been doing some preliminary nesting in the form of cleaning and clearing out clutter, rearranging furniture and the like. We still have a long way to go in that regard (rearranging bedrooms and repainting, anyone?), but we're definitely making some great strides forward in simplifying our house and our lives.

The second part of prepping for our newest addition is somewhat more difficult: accessories.

By accessories, I mean all of the trappings that come along with a baby: crib, changing table, baby clothes (squee!), stroller (?), car seat, diaper bag... The list goes on and on. I haven't even begun to research any of these things, and I just know that's going to come back and bite me in the ass. On the one hand, I don't want to prep a nursery and have it sit empty for a year or more, which is a distinct possibility with adoption. That would just be an open wound. But I also don't want to spend a bunch of money on a last minute purchase because we got a midnight phone call to pick up our new baby tomorrow and we didn't do any research yet. I have some idea of what I want/need because of friends who have babies, but brands, safety ratings, materials sourcing? I feel like I should be an informed consumer rather than just buying what everyone else has. (Though what everyone else has is probably the best one to have...)

I'm also torn on the stroller issue. I understand that they are useful and convenient, but I feel a certain responsibility to have as small a footprint as possible in an urban environment. We take public transportation very frequently, and a huge SUV stroller just feels rude and, frankly, unwieldy. Plus, I absolutely love Baby Bjorn carriers. I have the feeling that once our baby finally comes home, I'm never going to want to put them down, anyway.

In the coming months, I'll start looking into some of the more pressing accoutrements of having a baby, and posting thoughts here. (Alex: you can skip those posts...) If anyone has thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them. The sheer volume of information and available accessories is a bit overwhelming, and I'll take any advice I can get.

2 comments:

  1. I'm big into babywearing, so I have lots to talk to you about :) Bjorns are actually bad for baby hips/backs. For a teeny-tiny, a wrap is the best, like a Maya Wrap. They are perfect for the first 6 months or so. After that, while I have a ton of different wraps, pouches, and slings, my go-to is the Ergo carrier. I even wore Sophie in it at Disney (age 6, 45 lbs.). (And when we do weekends at Disney, it's always with an Ergo for each kid - never a stroller.) It's amazing, and so easy! We got a big rude stroller because I thought you were supposed to, and then used it twice with Sophie, and never with Nora. Wearing is easier!

    Sooooooo . . . what's your thoughts on cloth diapering???? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are *definitely* cloth diapering! I think we need to schedule a confab! I just saw the Ergo/Petunia Pickle Bottom carrier and thought it was adorable. I like the idea of the wrap, but hate the one shoulder thing. It makes my shoulder super tired! (Though, granted, I've never actually carried a baby in a sling - only a sling-style backpack!) My mom used Snuggly's when I was a kid - I think I've carried my brother around in one!

    ReplyDelete