Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The things people will tell the world...

One of the great things about reading blogs is the voyeuristic aspect. You get to anonymously peek in on someone else's life and compare it to your own, all from the privacy of your computer. I love reading the blogs that put up salacious gossip about people I don't know. Not even celebrities, mind you - just regular ol' people who put up all the details of their cheating husbands or gory birth stories or what-have-you.

Having said that, however, I am sometimes (frequently) horrified by what people will post up on the Internet for all the world to see. Not even anonymously. People who have identifying information up on their blogs. I try very hard not to get TMI on this blog, and I'm sure it makes for a less interesting read, but I'm okay with that. On top of that, it's just not a blog that lends itself to TMI moments, really.

A few of the blogs I love don't lend themselves to TMI either, but occasionally, something will pop up that makes me do a double take. Generally it has to do with the author's sex life, and just strikes me as out of place and a little shocking. Maybe that makes me a prude? I know I'm not the first person to struggle with the concept of privacy in the digital age, and if you want your bidness out and about for all the world to see, well, hey. Go for it. I not only won't stop you, I'll likely encourage you by reading your blog. But just FYI to anyone who was wondering, this will never be that kind of blog. Sorry, folks. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment