Monday, August 15, 2011

Well, that was unexpected.

If you look back through a lot of my posts on adoption, you'll see that I have frequently touched on the topic of the well-meaning people who say things like, "Just wait, as soon as you get that paperwork sent in, you'll get pregnant!" I understand that these were meant to be helpful and hopeful comments, so I tried not to take offense, but to instead point out that I really didn't know anyone that had happened to, and I didn't anticipate that being our experience. 

This is the part where I eat my words...

As it turns out, I'm pregnant!

I'm obviously totally thrilled about this turn of events, as is Allen, but I do feel a little bit weird about being "that couple" who got pregnant in the middle of adoption paperwork. A happy ending is a happy ending, though, so I'm not complaining. The other good news is that our adoption agency is great and essentially put our paperwork on hold. We can pick it up again when we're ready with very little hassle. (Hopefully the CPS clearances will have come in by then...)

So, my apologies for being an absentee blogger these past few weeks. I was running out of things to talk about that weren't pregnancy related, and while our CPS clearances still hadn't come in by the time I was eight weeks pregnant (when we put the adoption paperwork on hold), I didn't want to tell outright lies about what was happening there.

I've been incredibly lucky so far, knock on wood. I have had almost zero morning sickness. A bit of vague nausea here and there, but nothing like what everyone warns you about. My biggest challenge is going to be keeping my weight gain within reason. I'm already a bit, um, well-fed, to put it politely, so I really should only gain 20ish pounds. I've only gained two in the first trimester, so I'm feeling pretty good about that. I just have to keep it reasonable and not gain over 30 if I want to a) grow a baby that is appropriately sized (though I have 'child-bearing hips', I am terrified of a 10+ lb baby!), and b) avoid complications like gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. The only problem with that plan is that I am having a wicked sweet tooth. I already loved sweets to begin with, and now it's out of control. I have had to work really hard to stay out of the ice cream aisle at the grocery store.

I'll say this though: being pregnant totally changes your relationship to food. I had a pretty good diet anyway, but now I am even more thoughtful and careful about what I put in my mouth. I'm feeding another person, after all, and what goes in my body ultimately has an effect on their development. It's a huge responsibility. I'll have more words on that in a later post. For now, the important thing is I'm pregnant!

I'm 13 weeks along, and now officially in the second trimester. I'm due on February 17, so everyone start beseeching the weather gods that there will be no snowmageddon this coming February...

1 comment: