Monday, September 12, 2011

Crisis Averted.

Turns out, the email address given to me for the midwives isn't working yet. They just moved in to a new birthing center last month and are still working all the kinks out of the IT system. I'm still a little miffed that the one didn't bother to return my phone call, but I'm willing to let it go.

We made an appointment for a second ultrasound on my birthday. Best birthday present ever? Finding out the gender of our baby. If that were the only reason to do it, we wouldn't bother with the ultrasound, but since we're not going to be in a hospital for the birth, it's better to have one more check to make sure everything is developing as it should. If there are any potential problems, we might be able to identify them early and at least prepare for the outcome, whether that means follow ups after birth or changing our plans about where we have the birth. I'm excited to get another peak in there anyway.

I did a little bit more research on the B12 issue over the weekend, and I still think veganism is a go for me. My pre-natal vitamin is supplemented with B12, and many vegans get the vitamin through supplemented foods. In fact, supplements are recommended for older people anyway, regardless of diet, as your body's ability to adsorb B12 diminishes over time. As I suspected, it's not found in animal proteins only, it's produced by bacteria. The potential bias of The Huffington Post notwithstanding, this article lays out a pretty convincing foundation, and interviews some highly respected authors on the subject of veganism, including T. Colin Campbell, the author of The China Study. A good friend sent me this link and it was exactly the article I was looking for. Most of my research was randomly scattered about the Internet, and I try to not put too much faith in Wikipedia...

No comments:

Post a Comment