Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ethiopia and adopting.

Apparently, Ethiopia is planning to reduce their international adoptions by 90%. There is a petition to keep it running and encouraging the Ethiopian government to reconsider.

The reason is solid - rampant corruption in the system. (Ethiopia is non-Hague, I believe, but I can't swear to it.) But according to the campaign, the response is disproportionate to the cause. I'm all for weeding out corruption (Russia, etc., I'm looking at you.) But to deny so many children a safe and loving home seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'd love to see a world where all children are safe and sound and happy and loved, but until then, we need to all work together to eradicate corruption in the system while still providing a means for finding loving homes for these children.

Ethiopia was high on our list of adoptive countries. It still is, and while it's not an issue we'll come across for a few years, but I hope we still have the option when the time comes. If you think the cause is just, please sign the petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment