Thursday, June 23, 2011

My house is a mess.

I think everyone knows how I feel about a messy house. It drives me up the wall. I'm a little reticent to discuss it because I don't want Allen to rush home tonight and start cleaning, thinking that he's failed in some husband duty. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I'm sure as shit not cleaning right now (I'm writing blog posts and... "working"). We just missed Spring Cleaning - by about 3 months - and we're just now starting to tackle it at Chez Parker. We have so many projects to do, it feels a little overwhelming. We have to re-organize and clean out the basement closets and attic. They are both out of control. Uh-gain.

We accumulate so much junk and I have no idea how. I'm guilty of saving things I probably shouldn't - mostly craft stuff. Ticket stubs from our metro trips in Japan (scrapbook!), leftover fabric bits (quilts! aprons! random sewing projects!). I accumulate craft projects the way most people accumulate... I have no idea. I can't finish that metaphor as I have no comparison for what anyone would collect so many of, knowing full well she won't get to most of them in her lifetime. But I digress.

In addition to re-organizing, I desperately need to reconfigure out room arrangements. We re-arranged the basement over the weekend with the help (and design input!) of a good friend, and it's a much more efficient use of the space. The main problem areas are our living room and bedrooms. The living room is cluttered. I put a "reading nook" in, but the space is so small that it overwhelms the whole room. And the dining room table just seems in the way. The second bedroom is currently a guest room and craft room, but soon(-ish) it will have to be a nursery and I have no idea where the futon, sewing machine and table , and storage shelves are going to go. Not to mention the closet in there looks like our sheets and towels are procreating like bunnies.

After I figure out where everything will go, next is painting. The paint in the bedrooms is flaking and peeling and needs a fresh coat. The living room looks fine, but I'm not crazy about the color. It's a dark blue/gray which is pretty, but makes the room feel even smaller than it is. The kitchen/office is white, which seems safest, but a bit boring. The upstairs bedrooms are pale yellow, but each a different shade (which is weird). I have no idea why people who live in small houses paint each room a different color. It makes the space look SMALLER, people! Uniformity is the key to opening up the space! Has no one seen HGTV?!

I did finish one small project yesterday. I took inventory of and reorganized my yarn stash. I pared it down a smidge, but only because I got a huge influx of yarn from a friend who just reorganized her stash. The thing about yarn (and so many other things), is that I buy it (or get it as a gift) thinking that I'll use it for X project, or not even with a specific project in mind - just the thought that it's so beautiful, I'll figure something out for it! When the reality of the situation is that I have so much yarn (and knit so slowly) that I will never (ever) knit through everything I have before it goes out of style, even if I stopped buying yarn altogether for the next several years. Right now, though, I am concentrating on Christmas knitting, and working through some of the yarn I have stashed for that. A lot of my Christmas knitting is for little people, so hopefully it will go fast. But at least it's organized until then.

So, long story short: I have a lot of cleaning to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment