Friday, November 11, 2011

Future gymnast.

We've hit the point in the pregnancy where I can feel the baby moving. It's pretty exciting. I've actually been feeling him moving around in there for a few weeks now, but in the last week or so, he's gotten strong enough to make my whole belly move. Like you can see it on the outside kind of moving. It's both awesome and freaky. Like Aliens but with less carnage.

Allen saw one belly move and felt one kick, so our record of uncooperative baby is still standing. But this little guy is active. I don't know how much babies move around in there in general, but I've got to tell you, this one is doing somersaults. It's awesome. I absolutely love feeling his little kicks and punches. It reminds me that someone is actually in there (rather than me just having a beer gut), and it makes me feel like he is growing and getting stronger.

I've been measuring this pregnancy in milestones. First heartbeat on ultrasound, first heartbeat on Doppler, first trimester, 20 week anatomy scan... Now we've hit the movement milestone. The next one is the 28 week milestone. We're right at the cusp between viable inside and viable outside, and 28 weeks kind of marks the turning point. Everything has been going so well with this pregnancy, and while I am incredibly grateful, I've also been kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. That's why I measure time in milestones. It's a short term goal that that's easy to attain and doesn't let me look too far ahead. It's also a much more positive outlook and doesn't let me dwell too much on the what-ifs.

I still can't believe there is a whole person in there. It's so amazing. I wish I were a poet because I just don't have the words to describe how incredible this whole experience has been. It's totally normal and natural - I was built to do this! And yet, so completely wondrous. I am growing a person, you guys! And I can feel him moving around inside! Being pregnant is amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment