Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The good and the... less good.

We had our first appointment with the midwives. It was everything we expected. They also have student midwives who intern at the practice, which is fine. We are fine with having a student sit in on our visits. Except... Except the student right now is our Bradley Method instructor.

Sigh.

While she was taking down my history, she took the opportunity to lace into me yet again about being vegan. This time suggesting that my life-long, runs-in-my-family, started-around-the-onset-of-puberty, I-know-my-triggers-are-sugar-chocolate-and-red-wine migraines are due to the fact that I don't eat animal protein. For eff's sake! I explained that I got migraines when I did eat animal protein - milk, eggs, cheese - but she dismissed that as not "real" animal protein. Look lady. Animal protein is animal protein - milk, eggs, chicken, beef... It's all "animal protein", The midwife finally had to cut her off. 1. Because it was clear that I was getting pissed. 2. Because they have a whole visit designed to evaluate your diet and this wasn't it. And 3. I am clearly not malnourished, nor is my baby. In fact, this same student was concerned that I was measuring too large for how far along I was. Oh, until she realized that I was actually 24 weeks and not 22. And measuring 24-25 cm at 24 weeks and 3 days pregnant is perfect. Needless to say, this "student" is not invited back to any of my exams. Luckily, she's only there until December, but still. We. Are. Done.

Whether you agree with my diet or not, continually badgering me about it is only going to piss me off and make me defensive. And I take great umbrage at people who think they are diet experts because they follow the latest diet trend. (Ahem, paleo...) I am vegan, but I would never suggest that it's the only correct diet. I wouldn't even suggest that most people should be vegan! So it greatly offends me to be questioned over and over again about something I have done a ton of research on. It also feels like she's criticizing my parenting before I've even gotten started! She seems to be suggesting, less subtly each time, that I am in some way harming my unborn child. Let me be the first to tell you, I would have gone back to eating diary a long time ago if it was best for my baby. Or if my brand of veganism was in any way harmful. And since my old OB/GYN signed off on my diet, I think the Bradley instructor can go fu... Take a flying leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment