Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pros and cons.

I have heard women say how much they loved being pregnant. I would smile politely but secretly think that they were crazy. I mean, I didn't expect to hate being pregnant (though some do that, too), but who loves being on a restricted diet and activity schedule for almost ten months? No glass of wine with dinner? No pints at the pub? No roller coasters?! Okay, that last one is a bit silly since I don't go on roller coasters frequently enough to matter, but still. It's the principle.

So, when I got pregnant, I was excited, obviously, but I realized that I would immediately have to cut out coffee and alcohol, and if I could make to the Harry Potter theme park in Orlando, I probably couldn't go on any of the rides. What I didn't expect is that I love it.

I love being pregnant. I love that I am the vessel, I love that I am growing a person (!), I love choosing a meal knowing that my baby is going to get a taste of whatever I eat, and hopefully, will love some of the same things I love. (Though he may be mad at me about how much garlic I eat...) What I love most of all is feeling him move. Feeling that little squirm in my belly that lets me know he's happy and kickin'. And recently, though it's a little creepy in an Alien (the movie) sort of way, I love watching my belly move from the outside. It makes me proud that I am nourishing him and he is getting stronger every day.

I even love the smell of Allen's coffee in the morning, knowing I can't (shouldn't) have any. And I love the smell of the beer he has occasionally. I also love getting a decaf latte occasionally. It feels like such a treat now. Maybe I'm learning to appreciate simple pleasures that I took for granted before I got pregnant? Who knows. But I love it, anyway.

Having said all that, there are a few things I could do without. The first is the pinched nerve in my right hip. It is agony and has been for about six straight weeks now. And the midwives tell me it won't go away - it will only get worse as I progress. I hobble out of bed every morning, and stairs? No fun. Especially since I have to climb and descend them 15 million times a day to pee. The second is the near constant stitch in my left rib cage. It is driving me insane. Sitting on the birthing ball helps with that, somewhat, but I would pay real money to make that go away. I know it can be one of the symptoms of pre-eclampsia, but my blood pressure is fantastic and I don't have other symptoms. I think it's just sitting for long periods with crappy posture.

As I get farther along, I'm getting bigger and more waddley. I love my belly and love showing it off in maternity clothes, but getting out of bed is getting more difficult. Particularly when I have to wrestle with a body pillow, covers and cats who do not want to give up their warm spots. All in all, I'm pretty surprised though. I never expected to love this, so it feels like another amazing gift. The first was getting pregnant, the second was loving (almost) every minute of it. (Except maybe the hip thing. That I could do without. I think it might be time for a chiropractor...)

No comments:

Post a Comment