Monday, November 14, 2011

How green is "enough"?

You may or may not have guessed reading some of these posts, but we're kinda granola at Chez Parker. We try to buy organic, fair trade, made in the US or made with fair wage and labor standards, we reduce, we reuse, we recycle. We work pretty hard to be eco-friendly. With a baby on the way, there are a few baby items that are easy to go eco-friendly: cloth diapers. Check. Organic soaps. Check. No VOC paint. Check. Non-toxic, eco-friendly latex mattress. Super check. (Excited about that one.) Hand-me-downs and/or gently used baby clothes. Check. Basically, if it comes in organic or fair trade, or if it reduces waste in landfills, we plan on using it for our baby.

Here's where I may fall off the wagon...

Baby wipes. I found an awesome recipe online for DIY wipes. I'm all for it. Make something gentle and know exactly what goes in it?? Yes please! There is a great recipe and tutorial on the Angel Babies website if you are interested. So while I am super stoked about the homemade wipes thing, I am torn about one particular aspect... Disposable or reusable? The tutorial shows a roll of paper towels, but says you can use it on reusable cloth wipes too. I'm all about reusing, but I gotta tell you guys: disposable wipes are super tempting.

It's not the laundry. I'll be washing cloth diapers every two days anyway, so it's not like I'm making more work for myself in that respect. The issue for me is the extra ick factor. Wiping off poop? Fine. Getting to then throw that poop away? Awesome.

I suppose there's also the issue of how often I'l have to make the wipes. If I have a roll of paper towels, presumably that will last a week or two, right? Newborns go through 12 diapers a day, so I'd assume going through 12-24 wipes per day. If I'm using cloth ones, I'd need a supply of like 50 wipes just to get through 2 days before needing to do laundry. Well, I'm exaggerating a bit. That would be a terrible two days... So maybe I'd have to make them more frequently, but maybe not that much more frequently?

Am I trying to be too green? Is there such a thing? Am I just making a lot of unnecessary work for myself that I'll regret when I have a newborn to care for? I want to do the right thing for my baby and for the planet, but when is enough enough? 

So, disposable or reusable? It's the new "paper or plastic?".

No comments:

Post a Comment