Wednesday, December 15, 2010

An apology? Or maybe just an explanation.

I feel like I should issue a bit of an explanation regarding yesterday's post. I didn't intend for anyone to feel bad or hurt by my post, nor did I want to make anyone feel like this is somehow a taboo subject. We are guarded about how much information we post publicly on the Internet, but we are more than willing to discuss with our friends and family in person.

This can be such an emotionally fraught issue, so my post yesterday was intended only to give a perspective on "the other side of the coin" and not, in any way, to suggest that you (royal you) should walk on eggshells or anything like that. I also recognize that when we hear stories about the friend who started adoption paperwork and then got pregnant, it is intended as a hopeful anecdote. To give us a glimmer of hope that maybe it will happen to us too. My point in bringing it up is that anyone who has been down the infertility road has to shut those hopeful thoughts down to avoid the inevitable emotional fallout that comes when you find out you are not pregnant. Again.

As I have (briefly) mentioned before, we aren't going too far down the medical treatment path, so "infertility" is not something we are necessarily dealing with as a diagnosis. It is a functional fact at this point, but that's kind of the end of it right now. Having said that, however, it is also a functional fact that we are dealing with a fundamental failure of my body to function in the way that I think it should, and as such, I work fairly diligently at shutting out the "if I do xyz, maybe I'll get pregnant!" thoughts. It's just not conducive to a functional, healthy existence. Having the tangible reality of adoptions goes a long way in that regard, as does having the support of our friends and families. And ultimately, I am not offended when people offer up those hopeful anecdotes, but occasionally it does make me flinch. It would be disingenuous to deny that.

The point is, no matter what happens, we know we will have a new Baby P (or VP - vegan Parker - as a friend started saying!) in the foreseeable future. There is no reason to mourn or be sad! In fact, we don't have time for that - we have to much work to do to get ready!

Much love to everyone for following our journey and for supporting us through it. We'll be leaning on you all a lot more in the coming months, and we are so thankful to have you with us on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment