Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hmm. Didn't think of that.

Before I started this blog, I asked a friend who is also adopting - though much farther along in the process - about whether or not it was a good idea. As I mentioned before, when you are pursuing private adoption, you are encouraged to tell everyone (and I mean everyone) that you are adopting because "you just never know where that phone call is going to come from". My friend said that she thought it was a great way to share the journey and to "get the word out" that we are interested in and looking for a private adoption as well as pursuing the agency path.

I gave some thought to potential legal issues, but could not see any. This is the part where you shake your head at my naivete...

According to another friend, adoption agencies are ultra concerned about privacy issues. Ultra. So, it's possible that once we actually apply with an agency, I'll have to shut this little experiment down. Apparently, one agency was so concerned, it banned even twitter updates on the matter, so I'd infer from that reaction that blogs are maybe frowned upon. It's was never our intention to post super personal or intimate details, nor to give out any identifying information about potential birth parents, so, for now, we'll keep posting about the generic information we gather. I will ask about the legal ramifications at the next two information meetings we're attending in the next few weeks, and I'll get back to you with an update on the matter.

Fingers crossed! It'd be terrible if they said, "Well, your FBI clearance checked out perfectly, but you wrote a blog about it so you are banned for life." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment