Friday, December 17, 2010

When do you prepare?

I think most women of a certain age range notice babies and baby things. I think it's safe to say I've been a little bit baby crazy lately. I read baby/mommy blogs, I see adorable kids' stuff everywhere, and I'm designing a nursery - in my head. This is something I've discussed with others in similar situations... When do you start actually preparing for a new addition?

I know some people decide to start a family and immediately register for baby stuff, paint the nursery and buy a crib. Then, when they get pregnant, they feel like they always "just knew it would happen!" But what about the people who do all of that and... nothing? Those people "knew" it would happen too. 

I didn't know what to expect (and still don't for that matter), so it didn't occur to me to start prepping for a baby without evidence of one. Now that we're further down the road, I look at our second bedroom and imagine how I'm going to paint and decorate, and wonder where my sewing machine will live, but it's tinged with a bit of melancholy. I buy baby things, but only for friends who are expecting. I just can't imagine walking past a fully prepped nursery every day knowing that there is no one to use it yet. That's got to be so heartbreaking. This whole thing is stressful enough without the added pressure of filling an empty room.

Having said that, I will cop to one indulgence. I saw a onesie at a craft fair in Baltimore last weekend. It was adorable and I bought it. It's tucked away in our closet - deep in our closet - I don't want it taunting me. No more baby purchases until we have someone to buy for, but that little gem? Honestly, I don't know if we'll even adopt someone small enough to wear it ever (it's a 3-6 mos. size), and maybe it will eventually be gifted to someone else. But I love it and it's now the first official piece of baby gear we own. I know it won't be the last, but I feel a bit like I'm jumping the gun. I'm not superstitious, but I'm really hoping I didn't jinx myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment