Monday, May 2, 2011

A problem of perception.

The girl I see in my head and the girl I see in the mirror don't match. I know this is a common problem for women (and men!) in general, but I sort of just realized the gap in my perception. It's pretty large.

In my head, I am young, trim, dare I say sexy? In my head I see a girl from around 2003. She weighed less than I do, she was confident. She loved shopping for clothes.

The girl in the mirror? Not so much. It's kind of backwards from typical perception issues. Most women see themselves as fat and ugly when they are not. 

But the sad truth of the matter is that I am overweight. I've been overweight for a while now, but I kept thinking this issue would rectify itself. I went vegan, and though it wasn't the primary reason, I figured I'd lose some weight as a result. Maybe the fact that I haven't means I am doing it right? Either that or I love food a little too much. I've also been using conception as an excuse to avoid getting in shape. I kept thinking I would get pregnant and I'd need to stop working out anyway, so I might as well just be proactive in my laziness.

Now that we are starting our homestudy, officially, I have realized that it's time to stop making excuses and get off my butt. I'm tired of being overweight. I'm tired of my clothes not fitting right, and I'm tired of dressing like a slob to hide how ashamed I am of my body. I swore up and down that I wouldn't be one of those moms who look tired and disheveled all the time, but I look tired and disheveled all the time anyway! It's time to put the excuses away and be the person I want to be.

The girl in my head and the one in the mirror can be the same girl. Now I'm off to the gym. Right after I finish this cupcake... (hah)

No comments:

Post a Comment