Sunday, May 8, 2011

Signed, sealed, but not yet delivered.

The 'V' key on my laptop is sticking. It's getting pretty irritating. I may have to pry the key off and see if I can figure out what's wrong. Or, you may have to endure words missing the 'v'...

This past week was the "week of getting paperwork together". I already filled it all out, but we had to get things notarized, and we had to get fingerprinted. We also still need to get physicals, but the appointments are already made.

Our first stop last week was for fingerprinting. I had an inkling that this was going to be an issue since I had to go back and get re-printed 4 times before I could get clearance at my job. I was irritated at the time, but now I know the reason. Apparently, my fingers are a mess. I have scars and creases on my pads - the result of a combination of dry (extremely dry) skin and years of abuse. I do a lot with my hands: I routinely cut my fingernails down to the quick, I knit, sew, scrapbook - all manner of dexterous activities - I waited tables for years in college, I cook (and therefore burn my fingers) frequently, and I spent about 4 years doing dishes by hand every single day. (Don't ask.)

In the end, the fingerprint tech had to re-take my prints about 3 or 4 times. There were a few fingers that simply would not register an acceptable print, and in the end, she was forced to write "best prints possible" on my fingerprint card. I have a feeling that's going to come back as not okay. Allen's prints, on the other hand (ha), were perfect. We also learned a few interesting facts: fingerprints are only meaningful if you've been arrested in the last 12 months, and there is no national database of fingerprints in the US. I know! TV lied to us! Though I'm still convinced that the FBI has something in the way of permanent records... Just sayin'.

The notary was much easier. Three documents, $2 each and we're done. Two money orders for CPS stuff and fingerprint stuff and we're done. I think we'll likely send off a packet to Barker of what we have so far, and then send off our medical forms separately next week.

One of our references mentioned that they received their forms yesterday, so I imagine all of our references should hear from Barker soon, if they haven't already. Once all our forms are in, and all our references are in, we'll start scheduling appointments with the social worker for home visits and interviews. The main take-away point is: I expect us to be done with our homestudy by mid-June at the latest. In the meantime, I've also been collecting photos to start our profile scrapbook. I need to do a quick perusal of my scrapbooking supplies, but on the whole, I think I've got everything I need. It's all starting to come together pretty fast and I couldn't be more excited about it.

Man, you never realize how many times you use 'v' until the damn key starts malfunctioning...

No comments:

Post a Comment