Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Waiting for test results. (But I don't have TB.)

Let me preface this post with the following warning:

The TB test is not covered by insurance. I had to pay for it up front and then file a claim with my insurance company. The cost of the test is $31.

I don't have TB, but the test is required as part of our medical clearance forms. We both go in tomorrow morning to get the results read and signed off on our paperwork.

By the way, insurance doesn't cover the cost, so I had to pay for it out of pocket. $31.

I thought I'd be in and out yesterday at the doctor's office. I mean, I didn't need anything but a nurse to come in an inject a mystery liquid in my forearm. Then I come back in 2 days to have them confirm that I, in fact, do not have TB. Apparently, at our general practice doctor's office, that takes 2 hours. When my doctor finally came in, a man walked in with her. She introduced him as a visiting doctor from Haiti. She apparently visited Haiti in February and invited one of the doctors to come observe her practice in the US. All fine and good. Except he didn't really look like a doctor. He wasn't wearing a lab coat, and he kind of slouched in the room with his hands in his pockets. I mean, fine, okay, you are a bit nervous, and in a strange place. I get it. But he also had on a short sleeve button up shirt that was kind of "I'm hittin' the bars tonight, lookout ladies!". And his belt buckle... It was huge. And had a big dollar sign on it.

...

I wish I were joking. Thank god I didn't need a physical, though I would have requested that he leave the room before I removed any clothing. He was nice enough when I spoke to him, but I can't, for the life of me, understand why my doctor would not give the man a lab coat for professional appearances sake?! I think we need a new doctor. That place is shady.

By the way, did I mention that I had to pay for the TB test out of pocket because insurance doesn't cover it? $31.

I keep mentioning this because I was told this very thing not once, not twice but four separate times yesterday. I guess they felt the need to fill up the hours I spent there with useless information? I was told when I checked in. When I was brought back to the exam room. When the doctor and Dr. Bling from Haiti came to check on me. When the nurse came to actually administer the test. By the end I was like, "Yes! I know! $31!"

New doctor. Definitely.

1 comment:

  1. This cracked me up. I'm so sorry you went through it, but I thank you for blogging about it. :)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete