Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Better late than never.

This is only tangentially related to babies, but I thought it was brilliantly written. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (AKA The Yarn Harlot) wrote a great blog post on the proper way to receive a knitted gift. If you have a knitter in your life, I highly recommend reading this post. In fact, if you have ever received a handknit gift from someone, I think it should pretty much be required reading.

The one thing I would add is that if you don't like and/or are never going to wear said handknitted gifts, it's okay to say so. Um, later, that is. Be appreciative up front, but be honest if you just don't want handknits. Knitters put way too much time and energy and effort into each gift to have it languish on a shelf or on a hanger or in a storage box somewhere. (This actually goes for any handicraft...) Knitted gifts are meant to be worn and loved. I have knit things for family members that I put a lot of thought and time and money and energy into, and sometimes I get the feeling that they would have preferred a gift card to a favorite clothing store. And honestly? I'm not offended. There are plenty of people (including Allen or any of my knitting friends) who would love and use something I've made and I'd rather it was worn and loved. You aren't going to hurt my feelings if you also want it to go to a different home. You are going to make me very happy, in fact, knowing that the item will be appreciated rather than hidden away.

So, if you have a knitter in your life who gives you handknit gifts, consider yourself lucky. Even if it's the ugliest, scratchiest sweater in the entire universe, they thought about how much they loved you with every stitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment