Wednesday, December 28, 2011

More hair.

I think Butterbean is growing more hair right now. Because the heartburn is back and super not fun. I thought I was so lucky. The first bout of it only lasted a few days and then went away. I gloated a bit (to myself) about escaping the worst of the dreaded pregnancy heartburn, and now I am paying for my arrogance. Kind of like with the stretch marks (which are now all the way up to my belly button and show no signs of stopping there). At least this means he'll (hopefully) not be super bald when he's born. Ordinarily I love bald babies, but since he's a Winter baby, I was worried about his little head getting cold. Hopefully this is a sign that he'll have hair to keep his little noggin warm. Fingers crossed...

Also, at my 30 weeks pre-natal appointment (two weeks ago), the midwife measured me at 33 cm. Now, you are supposed to measure the same number of centimeters as you are weeks pregnant, so I should have only been around 30-31 cm. (From pubic bone to the top of the uterus.) The measurement is pretty subjective depending on who is doing the measuring, so I just thought she was measuring large and didn't say anything. Well, at my 32 week appointment yesterday, I measured at 37 freaking centimeters! That is huge! A variation of plus or minus three centimeters is fairly normal, but five?! Five is definitely measuring big. The midwife explained that the biggest measurements happen during weeks 32-36 because the baby is still shifting position and hasn't dropped down into the pelvis yet. But still. I'm not likely to measure any smaller after this, so now I'm fairly convinced that I am going to birth some kind of monstrous 25 pound baby. I've still only gained 30 pounds total, which I was feeling pretty good about, but apparently Butterbean is drawing in extra calories from an alternate dimension or something. He has physicist parents so he's a quantum baby. There is a finite probability that he is absorbing calories from an alternate universe version of me.

The midwife did include the caveat that the belly measurement wasn't all baby. There was a "significant amount of Mama" in there too. Which was her polite way of saying that I came, ahem, pre-padded. Thanks, lady. Luckily, this midwife only does office visits on busy days, so she will not be at our birth. Anyone who calls me fat is automatically kicked out of the birthing experience. Whether it's true or not! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment