Thursday, December 22, 2011

I need to try harder, I think.

I always wanted to be a young mom. That ship has clearly sailed, which, granted, is a good thing. I'll be a much better mom now than I would have been in my 20s. It's a fact. But since I can't be a young mom, I decided I wanted to be a cool mom. The kind of mom who is well-dressed and pretty and never looks like a slob. I have several friends who are this type of mom and it's something to which I aspire.

Um. I'm falling short of the mark. My sweet, patient, kind and long-suffering husband told me, out of the blue, while we were waiting for the metro yesterday, that I looked really pretty. I was wearing a new sweater, make-up and super cute shoes, and I was feeling pretty good about my appearance. (I had a luncheon to go to with my old work group.) His compliment made my day even better, but it also made me realize that he usually sees me in various combinations of sweats and pajamas.

When I leave the house, I generally try to dress well and at least have clean hair if not make-up. I'm not the type who has to "put on her face" before leaving the house, but I like make-up and I like feeling like I look good (extra few pounds notwithstanding, cough). And if I'm willing to put on make-up and wear nice clothes to meet a friend for coffee, shouldn't I be willing to put the same effort in for the man I love? Granted, he doesn't see me for the majority of the day, and when he gets home, he wants to change out of work clothes and into comfy ones, too. So maybe lazy clothes if I'm indoors all day isn't such a bad thing?

I'm still feeling like I should try a little harder. My husband is the best man I know, and I never want him to feel taken for granted. I'm not going to start getting up at 5am so he only ever sees me in full make-up, or anything like that, but maybe changing out of my PJs in the morning would be a good start. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment