Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness.

Dear Universe,

On Monday, I was driving home from an errand. Our Jeep had been dying randomly for the past six months, and I was at a particularly ugly snarl in traffic and just hoping that the car would get through without any hiccups.

It didn't. The Jeep died in the middle lane right at the point where three lanes converged down to one. The traffic was already backed up for half a mile, and this did not help matters. I tried to restart it, but naturally, it refused to cooperate. I called Allen in tears because a) every person behind me was frustrated at me (though thankfully only one of them was rude enough to honk), b) I'm pregnant and crying in tense situations is what happens, and c) I had no idea how to help myself. We have roadside assistance, but I knew it would be 45 minutes before anyone would come to tow me. I also knew that I couldn't push a 4,000 pound car out of the way by myself (or even with help - it's not a good idea to be straining that much when you are pregnant). There was also the fact that I was in the middle lane and would have to stop traffic in the right lane to get to the shoulder.

As I was getting ready to hang up with Allen and call roadside assistance, a construction truck pulled up next to me. The driver asked if I had someone coming to help me. I told him I was calling roadside assistance but if he could help push me to the shoulder, I could at least get out of the way of traffic. He and his passenger hopped out of the truck, blocking the right lane so I could get over, and pushed me to the shoulder while I man-handled the steering wheel. (The power steering goes out when your car dies, FYI.) They jumped back in the car and were off before I could do more than yell "thank you!" out the window.

So, Universe, I was hoping that you could smile on those two guys this week. They were incredibly kind to me and I didn't get the chance to properly say thank you. So, if you could, see to it that someone does something nice and unexpected for them, too.

Gratefully,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment